- Sorted by card level
- Contain 300 words per grade
- Are grouped thematically
Flashcards build mastery by:
- Providing a hands-on activity
- Aiding tracking
- Collecting vital word information in one convenient location
Instructions for the Vocabulary Flashcards
Gather 3 boxes and label one Short-Term Memory, one Long-Term Memory, and one DONE!
The Memory Box System
- Tracks student's progress as vocabulary words move from short-term to long-term memory
- Emphasizes the importance of retention and mastery of words, not just cramming for a weekly quiz
The Short-Term Memory Box
After you have “memorized” a group, drop the cards into your Short-Term Memory Box.
- Test yourself on those words every other day.
- Use the “Memory Box” on the front of the cards to keep a tally (in pencil) of the number of times you get a particular word correct.
- Once you have 5 checks in the card’s Memory Box, move the card to your Long-Term Memory box.
The Long-Term Memory Box
Every 3 to 4 weeks, review the cards in your Long-Term Memory Box.
- Got it? Move it to the DONE! box.
- Missed it? Erase all 5 check marks and return the card to the Short-Term Memory box. Repeat as necessary.
- Introduces 10 words per week
- Categorizes terms in thematic groups like nature, money, and energy to facilitate memorization
- Flashcards include:
- The phonetic pronunciation
- The category
- A student-friendly definition
- A context sentence
- Related terms
- Online flashcards include audio pronunciations